Thousands of years ago, this beautiful, lush area we call Healdsburg was home to the Pomo Indians. These early residents built their villages in the open, fertile valleys along the Russian River. Occasional visits of European sailing vessels on the California Coast from the 1500’s to early 1800’s had little impact on our area.
Harmon Heald constructed a store and post office in what is now downtown Healdsburg. He then carefully laid out a town grid and sold lots for the heady price of $15 each. Heald plotted a town complete with a central Spanish-style Plaza.
Officially incorporated in 1867, young Healdsburg prospered. Residents quickly constructed all the necessities of the city life, a City Hall, landscaped Plaza, water mains, bridges, offices- even a public library. The long-awaited arrival of the Northwestern Pacific Railway in 1871 brought increased commerce and success.